Tofu is a plant-based protein derived from soya beans that contains all eight essential amino acids. Ever wondered how it's made into a block? Tofu is made in a process similar to cheese. The soya milk is heated and curdled and the curds are pressed into a block. Tofu is available in a variety of textures from silken tofu to firm tofu. There's something for everyone!
Tofu has many health benefits, too. It is an excellent source of dietary protein and minerals, including iron, calcium, phosphate, selenium, and manganese. According to Canada’s Food Guide, a serving size of tofu is 150 grams which provides approximately: 115 calories, 7 grams fat, 12 grams protein, and 0.5 grams fibre.
Try using tofu as an alternative to meats in some of your family recipes, to help lower the amount of saturated fat you and your family consumes.
Author: Andrea Carpenter, RD
Recipe Type: Entree
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder or 1 tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2-3 TBSP avocado oil
- 12 small corn or flour taco shells
- All your favourite taco toppings such as: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, chopped peppers, salsa, grated cheese or cheese alternative
- Slice tofu into strips and place between paper towels or a tea towel. Press to allow excess water to be removed. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to absorb the water.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the oil, lime juice, and all the spices and mix well. Add the tofu strips to this spice mixture and toss gently with your hands to coat the tofu.
- Begin adding one strip at a time to the bowl of cornmeal, coating each piece. Continue to work in batches until each strip is coated.
- Heat a large, heavy bottom skillet on medium-high heat and add ½ the oil to the pan. Place the strips of tofu into the large pan, cooking until golden brown. Add ½ the tofu at a time. Wipe the pan clean before frying the remaining tofu to prevent the cornmeal from burning.
- Take the browned tofu from the pan and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Then place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Once all tofu has been browned, place in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes to heat through. Turning once to prevent any tofu from burning.
Use these tofu taco strips in place of meat, fish, or poultry in tacos, taco salad, fajitas, or quesadillas!
Love the recipe?
I would love to hear what you think of the Tofu Tacos. Take a picture if you make them at home, and share it on Instagram with #NKkitchen so I can see!
Want to learn more about eating a plant-based diet? Contact me today!