Snacking is an important part of any healthy eating plan. We need nutrient-rich snacks to help keep hunger at bay between meals. So often, we turn to pre-packaged and processed snacks out of convenience but at the cost of good nutrition. There must be a better way...and there is!
Energy bites are becoming increasingly popular because they are a bite-sized snack, packed with protein, fibre, and healthy fats. It's a perfect combination!
Cocoa-Chia Energy Bites
Author: Andrea Carpenter, RD
Recipe Type: Snack, Dessert
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes, ground
- 1/2 cup flax seeds, ground
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or raw cocoa nibs, ground
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seed butter*
- 1/3 cup honey
- To grind flaxseeds, coconut flakes, and chocolate and/or cocoa nibs, use a coffee grinder, dry blender, or food processor. Note: If you prefer a softer texture, the rolled oats can also be ground.
- Stir all dry ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Add the honey and pumpkin seed butter. Mix well to combine.
- Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into balls of desired size. If mixture is not binding together, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or cold water.
- Store in an airtight glass container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
*Pumpkin seed butter can be substituted for other nut butters such as sunflower seed butter, peanut butter, or almond butter. Using different seed or nut butters may alter the recipe slightly, so you may need to add a little water to keep the balls formed together.
Love the recipe?
I would love to hear what you think of the Cocoa-Chia Energy Bites. Take a picture if you make them at home, and share it on Instagram with #nutrikidz so I can see!